Monday, January 12, 2009

Restraint

When there are Belgian chocolates on the desk it’s very hard not to eat them.

So I have had one. Two.

I am creating the programme for the gym tonight. It’s going to be based on Turbulence Training. The idea behind it is quite simple, if you keep doing just the same thing over again your body gets used to it and then you don’t get as much benefit out of it. So instead you do interval training and weight (or resistance) training. It’s the same concept used in my “Lift like a man, look like a goddess” book. However, I found the exercises in that were quite complex, and therefore hard to remember – especially if you’re changing every few weeks.



I always prefer a program with weight training in. Especially squats (hence my resolution to double my squat weight this year). I don’t know why I find weights more satisfying, perhaps it’s just in contrast to how mind numbing running is. Yeah, the iPod helps, but…



So, anyway, OH has found me a program, which I’m hopefully going to follow for four weeks.

It consists of a 20minute interval programme which I will probably do on the stationary bike or the treadmill (the bike is pretty good) and then there’s a weight program which, according to the blurb, should only take 25 minutes. Sounds good to me!

The only mildly concerning part is that the training recommends that you also do 30 minutes of light exercise on a non-workout day, such as walking or yoga. I don’t think that knitting will count, so I have to think of something like that to do on the non-gym days. Though swimming is also acceptable, swimming (or yoga etc) would mean being in the gym again, and frankly the idea of being in the gym every day is not one which appeals to me at all. If I had a dog, I would walk the dog. My walk to work is only 15 minutes (so I guess that I do 30mins if I walk there and back…) gah.

And I have to try to eat healthily. Nothing processed it recommends. This is fine; we make our own bread and cook most things from scratch. Snacking is my main downfall. There is a recipe for fruit loaf on the bread maker, I wonder if that would count as a healthy snack? (It’s certainly better than a fruit & nut!)

No comments: