Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Program Update

After a shaky start, I’m enjoying my new program.
The things I was most worried about were T-push-ups and pull-ups. After getting some advice, and also a little thought, I’ve managed to sort out a compromise with the program.
For push-ups, I’ve been working my way down to the floor. I was using a bench (the sort with the removable levels that they use in step aerobics) which I was dropping down slowly. So, when I started the new program I decided to really push myself and go all the way to the floor. (I was two blocks and the step itself away – about one-and-a-half feet) and the first time I did that it was brutal! I really struggled to do the second set. However, in the second attempt at this workout (It is workout B) I managed to do two sets of six proper push-ups! I’m really pleased with myself.
For pull-ups I’m taking a similar approach. One of the biggest problems is my grip strength. I just can’t hold my own weight at the moment. We’ve ordered some resistance bands, which can be used to reduce the amount of weight you’re lifting, but the ones we have don’t reduce it enough. A larger band would leave me with a risk of getting pinged* so I’m using the assisted pull-up for now. The plan is to reduce the weight down to an amount equivalent to the amount the bands can do, and then switch to the bands. That way I improve my core strength. I gather this doesn’t happen, or happens less well, with the assisted machine.
Next Sunday is meant to be a weigh in day, although we’re doing some house-move things. I’ll make the time first thing to get that out of the way. I’ll be doing the “jeans test” again at the end of this part of the program. Once every four weeks should be plenty often enough.

No comments: